Saturday, January 24, 2009

Japanese high school soccer

I have been living in Japan for a couple of years, and have been employed by a Japanese high school for almost two years now. At my current high school I have been put in charge of the soccer club besides teaching oral communication classes. Japanese high school soccer clubs aren't that easy to manage as i had thought. My school is a fairly small private school with an average IQ of a box of hammers. Currently there are 14 members in the team including two goal keepers. This leaves me with two subs and an extra keeper. Most of the time one or two of the boy have some kind of injury or are whining about sore backs etc., which leaves me without substitutions during a soccer match. Another thing is that a couple of months after new members join the soccer team they reach that wonderfully complicated puberty age which would drive any team manager nuts.

Anyway, these are some of the things I have to deal with and I hope to share my experiences with anyone interested or bored enough to read my blog. I started writing posts about managing a Japanese high school soccer team on my other blog (Japanese high school) but decided to create this blog since it is a different world from daily classroom experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment